About Us

There are four of Them: three girls and one boy, little stair-steps all. There are two of Us: best friends, co-parents and truly in love. The Six of us have epic adventures full of laughter and love, occasionally containing tears, but always together.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Hard Questions....

Today we took a pilgrimage to Walter Reed Army Hospital. There Adam had a *ahem* procedure done to help ensure that we will no longer have the ability to create more life. The kids and I hung out in the urology clinic waiting room, mostly discussing the pictures of men's anatomy on the wall (The Boy-child and PrincessE were very intrigued by the brochures about prostate problems because it had cut away drawings of what men's anatomy looks like on the inside) and other important topics like the football players, people on skis being drug around by horses, and various other news items on CNN. For those of you who don't know, Walter Reed is where pretty much all the soliders injured in Iraq and Afghanistan come to recieve medical treatment after they are stable enough to come from Germany and points abroad. I was a bit nervous about the large number of amputees and injured soldiers that we had the potential of seeing. Reason number one being that PrincessE and The Boy-child do not understand the idea of subtlety. They both will often point and loudly ask questions about whatever they see that is different from what they know. (I definitely want them to ask questions, but I'd rather they not point and yell about it.) Reason number two being that I knew the question of how the soldier became injured would come up. Now I know there are lots of terrible things in this world and I am not blind to those things. I know that my kids are going to learn about and be affected by everything that goes on around them, good and bad. But I just don't know how to explain that a soldier was in a far away land and some bad person decided it would be okay to blow up that soldier and that's why they are missing their leg/arm/hand etc. I just don't know how to do it.....

So I was hoping we'd be *safe* (because I am a chicken) in the urology clinic. But of course, when you loose your leg all the way to your hip, you are going to need to see a urologist to get checked out. So, while I was chatting with another woman in the waiting room a young soldier came in with a prosthetic leg, wearing shorts. And PrincessE points and yells "What is wrong with that.....". I manage to catch her and quiet her down and get her to ask her question in a quiet tone of voice without pointing. And I say that sometimes bad accidents happen and legs and arms can be crushed and hurt so badly that they don't work any more. So the doctors have to cut them off. Then the person can get an arm or leg to help them walk/get around, but it is made of metal and plastic. She promptly asked "What kind of accident?" And I lamely answered "A car accident or a construction accident." She seemed to accept that information, but didn't really understand. But I have to say, I don't really understand either, so I'm not sure how much more helpful I can be.....

No comments:

Post a Comment