About Us

There are four of Them: three girls and one boy, little stair-steps all. There are two of Us: best friends, co-parents and truly in love. The Six of us have epic adventures full of laughter and love, occasionally containing tears, but always together.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Birthdays and sledding and bellies, oh my!

Today we wrapped up a week long off-and-on celebration of PrincessE's birthday, by celebrating on her actual birthday date. We started the celebration last Monday when the whole family was able to go join PrincessE at preschool, have lunch with her, read some books to her class and have a special birthday treat (doughnut holes!). We had such a nice time. Yesterday we went to Baltimore to the children's museum and then out to dinner with the kids' Meme. While we were out to dinner, Daddy told the waiter that it was PrincessE's birthday and the waiter said he would bring out a special treat for dessert. she was thrilled to see a giant piece of chocolate cake with a candle appear after dinner. Today during the day she kept marveling at how it was "so amazing that some grownups just seemed to know that it was some children's birthdays." At first I didn't understand what she was saying, but then it dawned on me that she thought the waiter had just *known* it was her birthday and brought out a special treat! I asked PrincessE if she thought that maybe someone had told the waiter it was her birthday and she said she didn't think anyone had said anything to him, she was sure he had just known. When Daddy told her that he had told the waiter it was her birthday, she looked at him with a "does not compute" look on her face. It was priceless! Today was mostly a quiet day, with the bonus of opening birthday presents and getting to eat a Care Bear cake that PrincessE picked from Wegman's. (This evening at dinner PrincessE announced that the reason she had picked a cake from Wegman's is because "it tastes better than the cakes you make, Mommy". There's nothing like a little preschool honesty to put you in your place.) LuLu and The Boy-child spent most of the day discussing how excited they were about the cake and singing bits and pieces of "Happy Birthday." LuLu doesn't say happy birthday though, she just says "Happy PrincessE" and then moves on to wishing the rest of the family "Happy" also! LuLu does already understand that the speical treat you get on your birthday is "take!" (cake). The Boy-child is already discussing what kind of cake he wants to have at his next birthday and was truly impressed with the taste of the cake PrincessE picked. In fact, he ate all of his cake and then promptly asked for another piece. He was genuinely indignant that we would only let him have one piece tonight. What a kick!

The "huge bump" that Mommy is growing on her belly has become a favorite topic of discussion around here. Yesterday The Boy-child was sitting next to me and he reached over and began rubbing my belly with his open hand. This is the conversation we had:
Me: "Are you feeling the baby?"
The Boy-child: "Yes. Your tummy is getting HUUUGE."
Me: "Are you excited for the baby to come out? After it does my belly won't be big anymore."
The Boy-child: "You mean that your tummy will be sucked back into your body?"
Me: "Yes. And you can sit in my whole lap again." (The younger two are most bothered by my belly when they attempt to sit in my lap, try and scoot back and discover that they are back as far as they are going to get!)
The Boy-child: "I will be able to scoot all the way back?"
Me: "Yep."
The Boy-child: "When I get big I will NOT grow a huge belly."
Me: "Why?"
The Boy-child: "Because I can't grow a baby in my belly."
Me: "Oh. Why is that?"
The Boy-child: "Because I am a boy and only girls can grow babies in their bellies."
Me: "Ahh, okay."
The Boy-child: "But PrincessE is a girl and she can grow a baby in her belly when she gets to be a mommy!"

Yesterday we had another fun conversation with PrincessE in the car, during which I told her that I was going to steal some of her clothes because they were so fun. She said "Mommy, I bet you one hundred and five zillion dollars that you can not fit in any of my clothes." It was quite funny to hear her use such exaggeration for emphasis.

LuLu is motoring along with the potty learning and is doing great. I absolutely can't believe what an easy transition it has been for her. We do visit the "wesswoom" quite a bit when we are out with her, but she has not been having any accidents, so we'll take her as much as she wants! It is nicer with Daddy home because I don't have to shuffle all three kids off to the bathroom everytime; I have Daddy to take LuLu to the potty!

On Friday, Daddy took the kids outside to sled and play on the ice. They discovered that they didn't even *need* the sleds. The ice is so slippery and thick, they just sat down on their snowpants and slid down the hill. Of course, the sleds went faster and so that was more fun. Daddy just sqatted down in his hiking boots and slid down a couple times. I don't know who was having more fun! LuLu got tired of the cold first and came inside after falling down. Daddy handed her to me and she said "hot tocoa?" I told her I didn't have any hot cocoa and she said "Daddy?" I told her Daddy didn't have any either. She wasn't too upset, but it was interesting to see that she has decided that hot cocoa goes with playing outside in the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment