About Us

There are four of Them: three girls and one boy, little stair-steps all. There are two of Us: best friends, co-parents and truly in love. The Six of us have epic adventures full of laughter and love, occasionally containing tears, but always together.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Here we are again, another week has passed me by! I just do not know where it goes. And there are so many fun and funny tidbits to share. Although not everything around here is roses all the time. Elie has definitely gotten the bossy bug. Last week she decided that it was a good game to "pop" (our term for a bit of attention getting we use, ie "a pop on the bottom") her brother AND her sister. She popped Isaac when they were playing mommy and baby. She just turned him over and whacked him a good couple of times. Then the next day, Talia was naked (as she prefers to be) and Elie decided that a good whacking was what Talia's nudie bum needed. Next thing I know Talia is screaming that "Elie pop me." Oh I was mad. Elie also cannot make it through any five minute period of time with out telling someone what to do, offering to help (ie forcing herself on any younger sibling because she thinks they need her help), or generally trying to be an adult. It does get quite trying. I'm pretty sure I've got a good idea about why my parents were often frustrated with MY bossing when I was in their house.

The other night at dinner I called Adam an alien for some reason or another. Then he started singing The Police's "I'm an Englishman in New York." The chorus goes like this: I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien, I'm an Englishman in New York. Isaac decided he was going to try his hand at singing it and started in with "I'm an english muffin.....". It was downright hilarious!

On Saturday the weather here was sooooo warm. Ah I love spring. So we took the kids and went caching. For those that don't know geocaching is an activity where people hide "caches" (they can be ammo boxes, tupperware, film cannisters etc) and then they publish the GPS coordinates and other people go to the coordinates and look for the hidden object. There are caches hidden all over the place: urban, suburban and rural. So we took the opportunity to go and do some caching and some hiking. The kids were all super hikers and they had a good time marching through all the mud we encountered on the trail. We were hiking along a creek and even saw a blue heron. We acutally scared it because Talia was pitching a fit about Adam helping her on a part of the trail that had a steep dropoff. Elie was acting as our tour guide for a bit of the hike. There was an old mill at the edge of the creek and as we approached Elie said "I think this is something they must have used in the old seventies." She and Isaac also discovered the joy of "being the leader" and so we had some pushing about that. Elie is still faster than Isaac, so she often just took off, leaving the rest of us to catch up. We did find all the caches we were looking for and that was fun.

Sunday we were driving around and I said "These are terrible drivers." Talia responded from the backseat with "Oh my!" It was such a kick. Talia also made some pronouncement and Elie and Isaac followed with "Indeed, Talia. Indeed."

I have been noticing lately how affectionate our kids are with one another. Talia has learned how to say "I love you" and often runs up to Elie and Isaac and tells them that. She also loves to give them hugs and they love to hug her. When we pick up the kids from school, there are always hugs all around and it never ceases to amaze me how they genuinely seem to miss one another. It's not that when some are at school and some are at home that they pine for one another, it's just that when they are reunited there is so much excitement and love. I'm not sure what we've done to encourage that or how it happened, but I get so much enjoyment from watching their tenderness and love for one another. I just hope that we can continue to foster that, so they grow to be sensitive and compassionate adults.

Today we were at the pool. Elie finished her swim lesson and we went to the warm pool. For a while it was just us in the pool and then I noticed an elderly lady get in, with the assistance of a younger male helper. He got her situated in the pool and then went in to do laps in the lap pool. Not long after he left the elderly lady began to call out for help. It was quiet at first, but it soon became yelling. She was calling for someone to help her sister Margaret, who was drowning. The lady spoke about another sister called Helen and kept crying out for someone to help her rescue her sister. The lifeguard attempted to speak to her and we both tried to calm the woman, but she would have none of it. After a few minutes of her yelling and screaming, Elie became quite upset and demanded to know "who was going to help that lady?" It was about time for us to go and I tried to explain the situation to Elie, but I couldn't do it without becoming teary myself. As we were walking to the locker room, I finally hit upon a way to describe what we had seen. I asked Elie if she remembered how sometimes she awakens from dreams and thinks that they are real. She said yes. I told her that sometimes when we get old, our brains have a hard time telling what is real and what isn't. We talked about how the elderly woman was thinking that something was happening when it really wasn't. It was an odd and heart wrenching situation. I can't help but feel like I'm fumbling around in the dark when stuff like this happens. The elderly lady and her caretaker son came into the changing room and we said "good afternoon". She was still quite disoriented and I felt terrible for the son, who clearly just wanted a few minutes to swim laps in the quiet. Elie didn't have any more questions and seemed to be more at ease with the situation. I just hope I did alright.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a great idea to explain the old lady situation to Elie that way... I am way impressed! Somehow you got smarter when you became a mommy but I'm not sure that's happened to me... :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did just fine, old friend... just fine....

    ::hug::

    "O-Mikey"

    ReplyDelete