About Us

There are four of Them: three girls and one boy, little stair-steps all. There are two of Us: best friends, co-parents and truly in love. The Six of us have epic adventures full of laughter and love, occasionally containing tears, but always together.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

One is the Loneliest Number

Last night things were a bit chaotic, as you can probably imagine, with three kids running around supposedly getting ready for bed and one pre-crawler rolling around shrieking. In addition, Adam is gone and so I'm all by myself in the adult department. I was in the crib room with the girls and asked Isaac to go in and get his toothbrush ready for brushing. It was awfully quiet and so I poked my head into the bathroom to see what was going on. As I stuck my head around the corner I saw Isaac put a GIANT glob of toothpaste on his toothbrush, pop it in his mouth, and SWALLOW. That's right: he was eating the toothpaste. GAH! BLAH! ARHGHGHGH! I am a TERRIBLE mother. My son is eating fluoride filled toothpaste. He is going to have stunted growth and discolored teeth. He'll be deformed for life; all because I am the frenzied, harried, discombobulated mother of four kiddos. Why, I asked him, are you eating the toothpaste?!?!?! "It was too much!"he responded with some fear. As I tried not to laugh about the ill-logic of the situation (we say it's too much because too much is bad for him, but he's consuming it when it's too much, make sense?), I told him that toothpaste isn't food and that it isn't good for him to eat and so when it is too much he should dump it off in the sink. BLAH!

This is what it has come to. I'm officially the mom of too many. I don't know what my kids are doing, what they are consuming and/or what is really going on because there is just too much to keep up with. To top it off, Isaac and Elie are increasingly concious of the LACK of attention they are recieving from their mother. Both of them, seperately and at different times, this very evening asked to have special "mommy time" tomorrow. Elie wants to snuggle and get a chance to read books. Isaac wants to sit on the counter and hang out with me. Leila crys when I put her down and Talia was walking around half the day today with her sandals on the wrong feet because she did it herself.

Of course, there's nothing I can do about all the children. And truth is, I'm not sure I would change it. I love having such a big family. Today when we stopped for a potty break during our crazy busy afternoon, we had a dance party in the bathroom. Everyone was clapping and dancing, it was GREAT! Then after we got Elie all caught up on her immunizations we had a Dunkin' Doughnuts treat and were silly and had such a good time. Whenever we do something that is fun, to me, it is fun magnified. But I am busy and stuff does fall through the cracks. I just hope I'm not deforming them for life by making them wait in line for each other.

1 comment: