About Us

There are four of Them: three girls and one boy, little stair-steps all. There are two of Us: best friends, co-parents and truly in love. The Six of us have epic adventures full of laughter and love, occasionally containing tears, but always together.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Why Am I SO Tired?!?!?!

I have written before about my constant state of exhaustion. I feel terrible for my poor husband because it is a regular occurrence that I fall asleep with Leila while she is nursing to go to sleep. He is very sweet though and never complains. But it does happen quite a lot. And I often find myself confused as to why it happens. During the day I feel like there is a lot going on, but I don't feel *that* busy. Then nighttime comes, in the quiet and dark of the house a magic spell falls over me and I become unable to wrest myself from the clutches of my soft, warm, nursling-inhabited bed.

I was puzzling over this phenomenon one Tuesday morning (because the previous evening had been spent snoozing away) and then on Wednesday afternoon, I finally registered why I'm *so* tired.

On Monday and Wednesday Elie and Isaac have swim lessons. They are only 30 mins long and Elie and Isaac are currently in the same class. During swim lessons, Talia, Leila and I go into the little pool and play in the water. I usually make sure that the kids have their bathing suits on before we get to the pool, so getting in the water is as pain free as possible. So it was a normal Wednesday. We got to the pool in plenty of time, everyone shucked out of their clothes and Leila and I got dressed in our swim suits (and swim diaper, respectively). We all headed out to the pool deck and got Elie and Isaac off to their lesson. Talia and Leila and I splashed in the little pool and had a nice quiet time. After the lesson was finished, Elie and Isaac were so cold their lips were purple and they were shivering so hard they could barely walk, so we headed into the locker room to change. Elie and Isaac decided they wanted to sit in the warm shower, so I told them to get their wet clothes off and get in. While they were getting their wet suits off, I was trying to get the shower head to point in the right direction. That was proving VERY difficult because I was holding Leila with one arm and only had one hand to attempt to rotate the flexible tubing and the shower head. When I turned back around, Elie had gotten undressed, but Isaac was still standing there freezing, making no moves to get undressed. I reminded him that he needed to get undressed to get warm and he starts making the motions to do so. Talia decided that she didn't want to get in the shower and had undressed and was standing naked, in the middle of the changing room, shivering. I couldn't help her to get dressed though because I was still soaking wet and holding a soaking wet Leila. I convinced her to put her towel back on despite her protests that it was wet (due to her dragging it in a large puddle of water...) and asked her to wait until I changed Leila and could help her get dressed. I laid Leila down on the bench and attempted to get her wiggly, age-appropriately-non-cooperative self dressed. Finally, I got her in all her warm clothes and buckled her into the stroller. Elie and Isaac, by this time, were bickering in the shower. A couple of mommy-to-Elie-and-Isaac reminders later, I moved on to getting Talia dressed. Of course, the floor was wet and so she needed quite a lot of help getting dressed so that her clothes weren't soaking wet when we left. By that time, Leila decided that she had enough of the stroller and she was doing everything in her power to throw herself out of it. I had her buckled in, so she was leaning waaaay over, which made it look like she was going to launch out of the stroller, headfirst. I got Talia dressed, while standing with my leg in between Leila's legs so that she could not launch herself. Then Elie and Isaac got out of the shower and I gave them their clothes and got them situated on the bench so they could get dressed and keep their clothes dry. Leila was trying to exit the stroller the whole time AND she wasn't doing it quietly. Once Elie and Isaac were dressed and their shoes were tied, I quickly got dressed, trying to keep my clothes dry and keep Leila in the dang stroller.

Somewhere in there, I saw myself from above, harried and multi-tasking, and I realized why I am so dang tired all. the. time. It's not like that all the time, everyday. But I'd venture to guess that at least once during the day, things get that hairy, or worse. It's possible that other people could, upon seeing the brood, immediately hypothesize about why I am so tired. But it took that scene for me to have an epiphany. I know that there's nothing to be done, but I wanted you all to share in my exhaustion for a brief while. ; )

The other day Leila was not feeling well. She's been not feeling well for quite a while and I was concerned because she kept having a day or two worth of fever. It's happened like three weeks in a row. So I took her into the pediatrician, just to make sure she was okay. It turns out, she wasn't. It's nothing major, but the dr said she has a raging ear infection. Blah. I had no idea. In addition to the ear infection, she's getting four teeth. All at the same time. Blah times two, because I also had no idea about those. Taking Leila to the dr made us a bit short on time to get to our swim lesson. So we were in a hurry. We got to the pool deck right on time and the kids shucked out of their clothes and went off for their lesson. Lesson got done, we got dressed and headed out to the car. As we are buckling in Isaac says that he lost his sweatshirt, which he was sure he was wearing when we got to the swim lesson. We all get unbuckled and troop around the pool deck, life guard station, front desk and locker rooms to see if anyone has found this sweatshirt. I suggest to Isaac that just possibly he wasn't wearing it when we left for swimming, but he is convinced that he had it. Having not found it at the rec center, we head home. Lo and behold, we walk in the door and there is the sweatshirt, laying on the living room floor. And that little boy says....

"I know I had it on when we got to swimming. I must have taken it off and it must have flown back to the house. I just know it."

No comments:

Post a Comment