About Us

There are four of Them: three girls and one boy, little stair-steps all. There are two of Us: best friends, co-parents and truly in love. The Six of us have epic adventures full of laughter and love, occasionally containing tears, but always together.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Get By With a Little Help from My Friends

Lately there have been some occasions where Dadam and I needed to be someplace, either together or separately, and we couldn't take the kids. This has led to a sort of uncomfortable feeling for me. It's not that the people we were leaving the kiddos with are irresponsible or untrustworthy. I have never been worried about how they are being taken care of. I know that they will be safe and warm and fed. I know that they are okay.

But I still feel an intense amount of guilt. I'm not there to see exactly what is going on. I'm not there to talk to them, kiss them and make sure that they are taken care of exactly the way that I would take care of them. I'm not there to talk to them or play with them or, or, or.....

I didn't leave Elie with anyone but family until she went to school at 2 and a half. Even after that I was uncomfortable with leaving her. And so I very rarely chose to leave the kids with anyone other than Dadam for a really, really long time.

Now Dadam and I are in a situation where we are regularly having appointments that we have to be at together. It's not a great situation, but I feel as though its necessary for our marital, and by extension our familial, health. And so we end up needing to leave our children with friends.

I hope they don't remember that they were there because Mommy and Daddy HAD to leave them. I hope they remember having fun and being together with friends. I am thankful for knowing that my children are surrounded by parents who love them very much and friends and family who do as well. And I hope that these sort of situations, where I HAVE to leave them, don't come up very often much more.

1 comment:

  1. I am positive your kids have a blast when they are with their friends. And - it is only for an hour or two - not days and days. There are definitely other positives to the situation: it is good that they are all old enough that they can be left happily with friends - no infants. And though Leila still has some mommyitis, she is happier with other people than Talia was at her age, for example. It is also good that you have been in that area long enough that you have friends you can fall back on - if this had happened a year from now, for example, it would be much more difficult, since you would have just moved to another country, let alone another city. Also, I think if they were unhappy about it, you would know. Kids pretty much suck at keeping secrets, as we all know. :-) You are doing the best you can to provide them with the best possible home environment. In the future, when they are old enough to understand, they will thank you! We love you all!

    ReplyDelete