About Us

There are four of Them: three girls and one boy, little stair-steps all. There are two of Us: best friends, co-parents and truly in love. The Six of us have epic adventures full of laughter and love, occasionally containing tears, but always together.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

I Said That Because I Did

Elie asked Leila if she wanted some more Cheerios. Leila said "In American I call them O's!"

Leila has turned the corner from baby talk to full-on-kiddo chat. She has an opinion on everything, repeats stories and asks really involved questions that Adam and I can't even answer. Recently we went to the library and got a few books. Leila and I have read them quite a few times, but it didn't seem like that many to me. But I knew Leila had been paying attention when I came into the sitting room and found her "reading" the stories to herself. She was repeating lines, verbatim, on many of the pages and pages where she didn't have the words memorized she was talking about the story. I was amazed.

The other week, on two separate days, she asked me this exact question. "Mommy, when Mommies and Daddies have to go to the hospital in an ambulance, do kids get picked up by cars?" I wasn't sure exactly what answer she was looking, so at first I said "Uhhh, I don't know." Then she repeated it and got agitated, so I said "Yes, I'm sure that they do." And that seemed to satisfy her. But I still don't know what she really meant.

Even with all the talking she does, she still has some words that are adorably cute "toddler" words. She calls Piglet - "piguhwit". She can't be bothered to say radiator, so she just says "radio". Plastic is "plaskit" and ketchup is "chapup". Her fruits and vegetables are also adorable with "clowerflower" as cauliflower, "ponato" as tomato, and banana as a very British "bahnahnah".

She still is slightly obsessed with "nah-nees" (nurses). She was still nursing until June, when she sort of just petered out. But she still insists on commenting when she sees a woman, "Look, Mom, she have NAHNEES." Recently I was in the bathroom getting ready to take a shower and she said, "Mommy, I love your nah-nees." And then just last week she said, "Mommy, you still have milk in your nah-nees." Think she liked breastfeeding??

But I think my absolute favorite is when she goes in the bathroom and closes the door. When she is finished using the toilet she will yell and holler until we come and wipe her. As we enter the bathroom, she will often announce "I closed the door for pwivawy because I did." "Pwivawy" = privacy

Which brings us to another hilarious linguistic pattern that Leila uses all the time, circular logic. We have many sentences that follow this form: "I did (blank) because I did." I always giggle to myself when she says this.

The other day I asked her where she came from. "I came from American and got on a big boat. Then we drove here and stayed at this our house."

1 comment:

  1. ima adopt the circular logic described herein. look for it on facebook!

    ReplyDelete