About Us

There are four of Them: three girls and one boy, little stair-steps all. There are two of Us: best friends, co-parents and truly in love. The Six of us have epic adventures full of laughter and love, occasionally containing tears, but always together.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

It Doesn't Take Much

When I am by myself with the kids, I often get overwhelmed with the work that it takes to run the house. I let the cleaning and cooking take priority over sitting down and enjoying a book together or playing a game. It's a problem, I know. And it's worse when Adam is gone for long periods of time.

Today I was feeling particularly fussy about the layer of grime that had accumulated on the floor and so we spent the morning picking and putting. But the day was beautifully sunny and the outside was calling my name. We got to the afternoon and the only thing left to do was vacuum. But I was struggling to just leave it and take the kids on a hike!

Thankfully, good sense won and I parked the vacuum in the living room, job half done, and we went out. The children made sure I was thouroughly committed to my course of action by fussing mightily about going.

It was FREEZING (so cold that in spots on our hike the frost from last night had never melted) but beautifully sunny. We just drove to a little public forest on a hill and hiked around. Every kid had two turns to be the leader and decide where we were going.

It was fantastic.




On the way home everyone admitted they had a great time. "I didn't want to go in the beginning, but this was lots of fun!" - Elie


And when we got back, there was still plenty of time to finish the vacuuming and fold the laundry. Ahhhhhh.

1 comment:

  1. They grow so fast and the house will always need vacuuming. A hike is much more important! and more fun too.

    ReplyDelete