About Us

There are four of Them: three girls and one boy, little stair-steps all. There are two of Us: best friends, co-parents and truly in love. The Six of us have epic adventures full of laughter and love, occasionally containing tears, but always together.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Tickling the Ivories

For a while now, I have been wanting to get the older three kids involved in playing the piano. I didn't want to force them, but I did want them to be exposed if they were interested. In Virginia, we tried and tried to find someone to come to the house and give lessons. I could.not.find anyone who was willing to do that. So we never got lessons started. When we got here I did some poking around online and discovered that it is common for teachers to come to you. Yay! It makes life so much easier if I can just keep Leila (and whoever isn't having a lesson) out of a room and entertained with their own toys, rather than keep them entertained in someone else's space.

We tried with one teacher, but I wasn't impressed and so I hunted around a bit more. I found a lovely non-profit music program that matches teachers with students of all abilities and levels. We had a meet-up lesson where we got to see how the suggested teacher fit with the kids. MissMelodist was a perfect fit; focused and able to gently keep them on task, knowledgeable and self assured. The kids have now had two lessons with her and are loving it! They ask to practice everyday and are learning to read music. MissMelodist has been so enthusiastic and encouraging, they are excited about the lessons all the time.

If all their enthusiasm wasn't good enough, they all seem to have some skill and are learning quickly. I don't know if they'll stick with it forever, but for now they are loving the chance to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment