About Us

There are four of Them: three girls and one boy, little stair-steps all. There are two of Us: best friends, co-parents and truly in love. The Six of us have epic adventures full of laughter and love, occasionally containing tears, but always together.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

One Giant Step for Munchkin-kind

In big-developmental-steps news, Leila can pedal on a trike!  I don't really know when this happened, but at some point the last three months she figured it out.  She and the Bigs have been tooling around the lower patio anytime they could go outside and for ages she was just pushing herself with her feet.  But last month, I was down there hanging clothes to dry and she was pedaling her trike!!!  It is such fun to see her pedal up and back and turning circles.  I love those developmental advances, they are such fun. 

Also in big-developmental-steps news, Elie and Isaac went to the corner store and bought something for me ALL BY THEMSELVES!!!!  Oh.my.goodness.  Our street is very short.  It is in very close proximity to the main drag, where there is a small corner store.  Occasionally, we have found it very useful to have a small corner store just a few steps from our door.  But it has always been Adam who has run up to purchase whatever we've run out of.  As of late, though, it had been occuring to me that Elie was, perhaps, old enough to take some money and go up to the corner store by herself.  I had waffled about the whole thing, unsure whether it was time or not.  Then, as we were coming home one day, I saw a girl walking home with money in one hand and a gallon of milk in the other.  I knew she wasn't any older than Elie and was probably right about Isaac's age.  I realized that it was time to start giving them those life experiences. 

The opportunity arose on Wednesday afternoon a couple weeks ago.  Elie and Isaac had finished their piano lessons and I realized I didn't have any soy sauce for the fried rice I was making for dinner.  I got some money and asked Elie and Isaac if they thought they could go up to the corner store, see if they had soy sauce, and if so, purchase it.  They were both very excited to go.  And while I thought they were back in for a final piano lesson, they ran to the store, bought the sauce and were home before I even realized they were gone. 

They were so proud.  And so was I.  I asked them how it felt and they told me what happened.  Elie:  "I carried the money."  Isaac:  "And I asked if they had any soy sauce and where it was."  Elie:  "I got it off the shelf!"  Isaac:  "And I carried it home."  Elie:  "We took turns, that way it would be fair."  Isaac:  "And we didn't bicker or fight!" 

Later Isaac admitted to me that he was a little nervous someone might stop them and ask them "if they had a family."  And he told me, "I'd just tell them that we had a family and we were just going to the corner store for our Mommy." 

Whoa.  It's a big step to go to the corner store on your own.  I know they ran there and ran back, but it was good for them and good for me.  They are growing up.  It's pretty darn cool. 

2 comments:

  1. Do you think the...vibe? atmosphere? attitude? in England makes this possible? Would you feel ok with this in the US? I do think it is cool! And how sweet that they were so proud of themselves and the way they carried out the whole procedure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I would do it in the US. Part of the reason it is possible here is our extremely close proximity to the store. They don't cross any roads and it is literally a 30 second walk. It is also a very quiet neighborhood and I feel very safe. If we had similar circumstances in the US, I would be all for it. I think there is definitely less cultural paranoia about kids doing things on their own here.

    ReplyDelete