About Us

There are four of Them: three girls and one boy, little stair-steps all. There are two of Us: best friends, co-parents and truly in love. The Six of us have epic adventures full of laughter and love, occasionally containing tears, but always together.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

All By Myself or The House is Really Quiet

The first week of school, I had G-Daddy with me after we got the kids to school.  We took advantage of being adults and had coffee and did assorted activities Without Children.  G-Daddy headed home and a terrible plague promptly made its way through the ranks of children.  One after another they got a fever, threw up and were unwell for a couple of days.  In the midst of all that, we had time off school for Rosh Hashana.  And then in the third week of September, one morning, I took every.single.child. to school and came home.  To a completely empty house. 

Oh, it was quiet. 

Too Quiet.

And the silence made me cry.

For a very long time in my life, close to a decade, I have had a child (or children) at home with me during the day.  For years I have been unable to walk without someone following me, to change my clothes without a running commentary, to use the bathroom all.by.myself.  And now, in the blink of an eye, for several hours during the day, my time is my own. 

I called Adam and cried a bit.  I worked on some sewing that needed doing.  I felt slightly sorry for myself and a little lost.  Then it was time to get Noodle.  I'm sure I'll get used to it.  I know I will.  But for now it's hard to hear myself through the quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment