First, we had to wash them. Then the kids all took a sharpie and went to town drawing faces. It is a bit difficult to explain how to draw a face that will be easy to cut out, but they did alright.
I cut the bottoms out of all the pumpkins. And they went to work cleaning them out. The Boy-child and LuLu got right to it; digging their hands in the muck and scooping out loads of seeds. PrincessE and Noodle, on the other hand, practically refused to put their hands in the pumpkins. I had to tell PrincessE that she needed to either do it or not, but I didn't want to hear any more complaining about her messy hands!
But they got it sorted out. Then I carved them up, trying to stick to the original drawings as much as possible. (I was a bit nervous about PrincessE and The Boy-child doing it themselves. I think next year I'm going to have to let them do it.) We have some friends who use their Dremel for pumpkin carving, I may advocate getting one for us! Four is a lot of pumpkins to carve.
They turned out really cute and we put tea lights in them, so they could welcome Dadam home.
Noodle and Lulu's punkins.
The Boy-child and PrincessE's!
(I'll post a pic of glowing pumpkins tomorrow!)