About Us

There are four of Them: three girls and one boy, little stair-steps all. There are two of Us: best friends, co-parents and truly in love. The Six of us have epic adventures full of laughter and love, occasionally containing tears, but always together.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

In Which We All Visit the A&E, Twice in One Day

This half-term break was supposed to be a quiet one.  We weren't travelling anywhere and we didn't have big plans.  Dadam had the Monday off because it was President's Day in the States and we had a lovely family day together.  We visted the National Media Museum and explored all things film and television.  It was really interesting and we learned some fascinating things about animation, IMAX film and television sets.  A good day out at a free museum; you can't beat that!  Tuesday the kiddos and I went up to have lunch with Dadam and then spent the afternoon at the bowling alley taking advantage of their half-term holiday special rates.  The kids are such a kick to go bowling with.  We found a ball that had five finger holes and that was a big hit!  Wednesday we had a day of playdates.  We went to another family's house in the morning and in the afternoon a friend of The Boy-child's and a friend of Lu-Lu's came over. 

As an aside - The Boy-child has been having some problems lately with being, well, the.boy.child.  Often the girls don't want to play what he wants to, football.always, and the three of them can often come up with a game they'll play for hours (school, teachers, ballet school, did I mention school?).   He ends up having no one to play with, or choosing to play with no one.  And he feels sad.  I made sure to arrange a special playdate with one of the boys from his class.  They had an amazing time!  They played football and American football outside.  They came in and played one game of Wii Bowling.  Then it was off to Star Wars Legos and then an imaginary light saber duel that took place through out the house.  It was really fantastic.  The Boy-child was so happy.  I was so happy to see him so happy. 

Thursday morning we had tickets to see a play.  PrincessE and I had seen it advertised when she took a Girl Guides tour of the playhouse.  It seemed like a fantastic activity to do over half-term and we were all very excited.  The play was really lovely and we all enjoyed it.  Noodle was a little unsure and spent the whole time in my lap, but soon became enthralled.  And because it was a show specifically aimed at the younger set, the theater was anything but quiet so we blended right in.

We got home from the show and the kids all headed to the play room.  I was getting lunch stuff ready and I heard a horrible, awful, no good noise come from PrincessE.  She was kneeling in the play tent clutching her face and I knew right away she had smashed her face on the art-table bench that was on the outside of the tent wall.  I just didn't know what part she had damaged.  I pulled her out and she began clutching her eye and wailing.  I got her in a sitting position and pried her hands from her eye and saw that she had cut open her cheek, right under her eye.  After getting some ice on it and having a closer look, I thought we should make a trip to the A&E (accident and emergency).  So off we went.  They put a few drops of glue on her and called it good.  The most challenging part of the gluing was getting her outrageously, lovely, long eyelashes out of the way so the nurse didn't glue them too! 

As it happened, it was the first day of sunshine in a very long time.  After feeding everyone, they all went out to play.  PrincessE had a black eye, but other than that she felt just fine.  Blissful hours passed and it was getting dusk.  Everyone else had come in and The Boy-child was taking off his wet clothing.  he noticed the door was still open, he put his left hand on the door jamb, left thumb in the hinge and as I yelled "Be care....." he slammed that thumb in the door.  Wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued, the thumb was green and  purple all at once.  When I could finally get it from him to look at it, it was so swollen he couldn't bend it.  After icing it and giving him ibuprofen and making a call to my consultants back in Oregon (Thanks GranEde and GranDude!) I decided he needed to get an x-ray.  Dadam got home, got changed, had a quick bite and took The Boy-child back down to A&E.  Thankfully shift change had already happened.  It wasn't broken (shew) and they were back home just slightly past bedtime. 

No CPS people (or whatever they are called here) have shown up at the door, yet....
Is it good karma to have the ER vists all at once or is it bad?  All I know is that I could really go without. 

No comments:

Post a Comment